Friday, September 23, 2011

Poetry Leads to Social Work

Poetry leads to social work and to caring about your community. At least that is what two men called the Twin Poets believe.

The following video is about twin African-American men who are poets and social workers. In the short interview, they speak of how they feel their poetry led to becoming social workers and that doing social work inspires their poetry. They feel that poetry and caring about and working against social problems goes together. They think that poetry can be the first step that makes people go out and try to change the world, or at least make their own community better.

I too believe that poetry is useful, meaningful. I believe poetry can contribute to our lives and perhaps even to the health of our country. I really like the beginning of the short clip, where the brothers are inspiring all those African-American kids to write their own poetry. That's the kind of teacher I want to be. I hope I can (a white female) somehow reach the hearts of students of all races like these Twin Poets do.

Watch this video: Twin Poets-Why I Write, and be inspired of how you, too, can change your corner of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment